Dentistry has never been in a better place. If you get a cavity, lose a tooth, lose many teeth, suffer from gum disease, or just want to improve the appearance of your smile, we have a host of modern restorative and cosmetic procedures available that give you lifelike results with minimal discomfort.
That said, the best thing you can do for your smile is to keep it healthy with good preventive care. Even though digital imaging and other cutting-edge technologies have resulted in procedures that are less invasive with far better results, we should all strive for teeth that are healthy and bright without spending extra time in the dentist’s chair. After all, don’t you have other places you’d rather be?
At Atlanta West Dentistry in Marietta, GA, we offer every restorative dental procedure you may need — but we like to emphasize the importance of preventive care in maintaining a healthy smile. Part of that, of course, is sticking to a schedule of twice-yearly cleanings and exams. To book your next appointment, fill out our online contact form or call our office at 770-744-4619.
Maintain a Solid Routine at Home
Since you only step into our office twice per year, good oral hygiene at home is critical to maintaining the health of your teeth and gums. This includes:
- Brushing twice a day, every day, for two minutes at a time. Brush gently, or you risk damaging your enamel, and don’t forget the gumline. Always use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Don’t let flossing fall through the cracks. You should floss at least once every day. Get in between each tooth, carefully running the floss down one side then up the other. Flossing not only dislodges stuck food, but it helps remove plaque from the enamel.
- Rinse with fluoride mouthwash each time you brush.
- Know that when it comes to your teeth, chewy + sweet is a dangerous combination. These foods stick to the grooves of the teeth and are difficult to remove entirely. They then cause a proliferation of cavity-causing bacteria. Foods to avoid include gummy candy, chewy granola bars, even dried fruit like raisins.
- Drink lots of water. Try to avoid sodas, sports drinks, and juices, which contain concentrated sugars and enamel-destroying acids. If you sip water throughout the day, you help keep your mouth hydrated and wash away bacteria and food particles. Fluoride-fortified tap water is best.
Visit the Dentist Every Six Months
Even if you are doing great at home and your teeth look beautiful and feel fine, it’s important to stick to a strict schedule of twice-yearly dental visits. Here are a few reasons why:
- Our professional cleanings destroy stubborn, bacteria-filled tartar and plaque that you can’t reach at home.
- We will remove surface stains and polish your teeth until they sparkle.
- We will thoroughly examine your mouth, looking for early signs of gum disease, tooth decay, and oral cancer.
- Through digital X-rays, we can see problems not visible to the naked eye like impacted teeth, cysts, and more.
If you live in the Marietta area, make sure your next dental checkup is on the calendar. To book an appointment with Atlanta West Dentistry, you may call our office at 770-744-4619 or contact us online.